Mhai! (Mum)- Inspired by Tocky Vibes song

There is a Zimbabwean artist called 'Tocky Vibes' who has been hitting the airwaves recently. One of his songs has become somewhat of an anthem for me as it touches on a subject which is so close to my heart...it's dedicated to his mother.




Basically in this song Tocky is narrating the promise he made to his mother that no matter how much success he will achieve in life he will never forget her (his roots). It is a very grounded song and speaks a very poignant message. For us to be where we are today we didn't get there because of our own ability, determination and fortitude...there have been people supporting us through out the process- and mums are one of our biggest fans.

I for one remember all that my mum has done for us as a family and I will forever be grateful. All the love, care, discipline and hard work involved in moulding and shaping us contributed to who we are today. She had to sacrifice pursuing certain endeavours just to ensure that she could be there for us. There are a number of different business activities she embarked on to ensure we would be able to have a stable home and have all we needed. I might not have always had what I wanted (as wants are unlimited), but she made sure we lived a good life of a standard matching what we had.

"Mum, when I have risen to a point of prominence and I am well off I promise I will never forget you. Even now with were I am and all the opportunities which I have attained or are obtaining...I will never forget you." I have typed out the lyrics to Tocky's song below with an English translation of what he is saying in his song. I hope you will take time to also appreciate your mum.


I love you Mrs LC Zingoni

your last born son,
Tatenda Simbarashe




Mhai/Mum

Nzombe huru yakabva mukurerwa wani
Ichi chitsidzo chatakaita inini na mhai
“Tocky pazvinenge zvanaka usatikanganwe”
Hoho, mhai ndopika handikukanganwei
Mhai, minamato yenyu yose musandikanganwe
Tocky, mwanangu, ndopika handikukanganwei

A grown ox came from being reared, is it not?
This is the vow we made with my mum,
(Chorus) Tocky when things are now well don’t forget us
I swear mum, I will not forget you
Mum, in all your prayers please remember us
Tocky, my son. Yes mum, I vow I will never forget you (Chorus)

Aaah aah aah, kukanganwa mai ndaramba!
Nine months vakandishafa, mudumbu hazvisi zvokutamba
Nyangwe ndikanzi ndaba, mai vanozviramba
Wangu mwana haadaro, vanondishuvira zvakanaka
Mhai, aah- Imimi Mwari komborerai mhai
Vasipo ndingadai ndiripi

Aaah aah aah, I refuse to forget my mother!
Nine months she carried me in her womb, that’s not child’s play
Even if now I’m accused of a crime, mum would refuse that it’s me
“My son doesn’t do such”, she wishes the best for me always.
Mum, aah – Dear God please bless my mum
If she wasn’t there where would I be?

(Back to Chorus)

 Mhai we! Kana zvaipa rega vadanwe
Usati watsenga sadza vaikupa mukaka wavo uyamwe
Izvezvi mhosva upare, kuchema havatane
Saka handiti vakandida ndisati ndavada,
Sando dzavo rega ndivape
Mhai, mirai nditende mhaiyo
Vasiri ivo inga dai ndisimo mudariro

Mummy! When things are tough one should call her
Before you could chew food she would give you her milk to drink
Right now if you were to get into trouble, she will quickly cry
She loved me before I loved her,
I give all the respect and honour due to her
Mum, let me thank my mother
If it wasn’t for her I would not be in this spotlight

(Chorus)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming our nationhood: Unity, Freedom, Work

When you do not ask, the answer is already 'No'