Your days are numbered, make them count



I was born on the 26th of July 1986
I have been on earth for 28 years (up to birthday)
Of these 21 were non-leap years and 7 were leap years
The 28 years equal 10,232.35 days and 245,574 hours

As of yesterday 12 November 2014;
I have been on earth for 10,341.25 days and 248,190 hours

God said in Genesis 6:3
Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with humans forever, for they are mortal; their days will be a hundred and twenty years." (NIV)



Moses in Psalm 90:10
"The days of our lives are seventy years; and if by reason of strength they are eighty years, yet their boast is only labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.


Ecclesiastes 12:1-4
Remember now thy creator in the days of thy youth...
v4 In the day when the keepers of the house shall tremble (legs), and the strong men shall bow themselves (arms), and the grinders cease because they are few (teeth), and those that look out of the windows be darkened (eyes) [KJV]


Numbering of days

Dividing life into four parts 25, 50, 75 and 100...one can use this as an indicator of the different lengths of phases that one is on earth for.

Here in South Africa for one to be classified as a youth they have to be 35 years and under. Retirement age is set at 65 years.

The 'keepers of the house' referred to in Ecclesiastes are ones legs. These tend to start giving in when one is around 75 to 80 years.


Using the above as a basis for numbering my days;

- I have 7 years left before I no longer qualify to be regarded as a youth (according to SA classification)

- I have 37 years left until I reach 'retirement' age (though I resolved that I will retire when I am 6 foot under)

- I have 47 years until the 'keepers of the house' given in.










Call to action


Psalm 139: 13-18 (NASB)
"v13 Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; And in Your book were all written The days that were ordained for me, When as yet there was not one of them."

"Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is." (Ephesians 5:15-17 NASB)


God already has a purpose for your life and He has your days ordained for your life. He knows what it is you need to do and you therefore need to seek to understand what His will is for your life. In this way you will live your life in a way that your days count.


My desire is for it to be said of me as was said of David; "For when David had served God's purpose in his own generation, he fell asleep; he was buried with his fathers and his body decayed." (Acts 13:36 NIV)

Bible in Basic English (BBE)
Now David, having done God's work for his generation, went to sleep, and was put with his fathers, and his body came to destruction"


Conclusion

Our prayer should be

"Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom" (Psalm 90:12)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mhai! (Mum)- Inspired by Tocky Vibes song

Reclaiming our nationhood: Unity, Freedom, Work

When you do not ask, the answer is already 'No'