Keep soldiering on, don’t pay heed to detractors




 A friend of mine wrote this on her Facebook wall yesterday and I thought I should share the inspiration which I drew from the post. I have made minor edits but everything else is verbatim. I was so happy for her mum when I read the post.


“My mother, my greatest source of inspiration. A hard worker, go getter and a beacon of hope to thousands of women. This woman sat for her O levels [Form 4] when I was in Form 2 (at the same school) there were sooo many comments and snitches but she did not let people's opinions determine the course of her life. On Friday the 3rd of October 2014 she graduated with her Masters in Strategic Management at Chinhoyi University of Technology (CUT)- she has already started research for her PhD thesis. Mama we are so so proud of you. I'm green with envy at the fact that you might just beat me to the doctorate. We can write a book about your life. But one thing I have learnt from you is that where there is a will there is a way and life may have dictated where u are right now but u have the power to change the course of your life for better. A true rags to riches story and an assertion to me that indeed there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Open your eyes and walk towards it.


Inspirations/Lessons drawn from the post

1) It is never too late to start/do anything. If you set your mind on it and apply yourself, you can do it.

  • I once heard a story of someone who was 40 and wanted to study towards being a doctor but she was saying she was too old as by the time she would finish she would be 47. The woman was asked how old she would be in 7 years’ time and she replied ‘47’. She was then shown how the in the 2 scenarios she would be 47 in 7 years’ time, but in the other case she would be 47 and not a doctor. 


 2) Most times we are so busy getting caught up in celebrating other people that we neglect to celebrate those close to us.

  • Take time to look at your spouse, parents and siblings…sit down and write down 5 or more lessons or inspirational things which you have admire and have drawn from them. Over and above that, actually take time to verbalise the appreciation to them- if you can even write a ‘handwritten’ note the better (given the rarity of such in this digital age).


3) In life there will always be detractors who are bent on undermining whatever efforts you are putting in.

  • Had she taken heed of the comments and snitches she might not be at the point she is today. I can say with no shadow of doubt that of those who were making the comments, the majority (if not all) of them probably have not reached the levels where she has reached.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mhai! (Mum)- Inspired by Tocky Vibes song

Reclaiming our nationhood: Unity, Freedom, Work

When you do not ask, the answer is already 'No'