Someone had to sacrifice for you to be where you are



As we live our lives we need to be constantly conscious that all we see around us is testament of people’s sacrifices. In order for any good or service to be available there is someone who had to sacrifice their time, talent and treasure. Don’t buy into the nonsense often spewed by people who call themselves ‘self-made’. No person becomes a success based only on their own efforts…someone had to sacrifice for them to get to where they are.

In my life there are some individuals I would like to acknowledge for the sacrifices which they have done and are still doing in order for me to get to where I am today. 


Parents

First and foremost the people deserving all the adulation are my dad and mum. Raising six children (of which I’m the last) and sending them to boarding school for high school was not an easy feat. Though there are many things which I desired growing up, knowing the sacrifice they were undergoing I learnt to live with the essentials. They sacrificed a lot in order for us to get to the place where we are as their children medical professional, doctorate holder, banker, engineer, marketer and economist.

When I was conceived, mum was in the process of attending night school so she could finish off her O-Levels. She had to cut that short in order to focus on her last born who was on the way. Her sacrifice does not go unappreciated. Such selflessness is unparalleled and it is worthy to be honoured. Ma Dube I am grateful for all these years you have cared and nurtured us.

Some years back dad was affected by something which happened at the government owned entity he was working at as a chief accountant. He was accused of having been complicit in fraud which the entity had undergone- though it was actually him who discovered it and brought it into the open. For doing his work, he was placed on suspension so he would not ‘hinder investigations’. Though he was getting half of his salary there was bound to be financial strain on the family so he had to make a plan. Dad pooled together some funds and bought a Toyota Hiace kombi from one of the embassies which could be turned into a 15 or 18 seater. 

Once the vehicle had been registered and he got a route permit, the taxi was placed on the road. Given he wasn’t going to work he decided to be the taxi driver. Dad put aside that he was a qualified accountant and did work which others not as qualified as him were (and still) despising. He sacrificed and did what he did to ensure that we got to finish off school and everything was normal. My mum at one point actually mentioned that our standard of living actually improved relative to when dad was just doing the accounting work. 

God being God, dad was vindicated after about 3 years and he got his job back. By that time the first taxi had managed to finance the purchase of another taxi and the business was established. There is no seed which falls to the ground which does not produce fruit. From the sacrifice there was growth which was produced.

There are plenty of examples which I can use in illustrating the sacrifices which my parents have done in order for us to get to the place where we are which I can’t enumerate here- will come up with a standalone book for that. Above all, I am grateful for the countless prayers and fasting they have done for us. I love you mum and dad.


My sister and her husband

Close to the time when I was doing my A-level studies I used to sense strongly in my spirit that I would not do my tertiary studies in my home country Zim. This was not in any way due to a lack of quality institutions or because my results were below par- to the contrary, there are many top notch universities and my grades were excellent. My sister and her husband gave me an opportunity to study at Africa’s best university- University of Cape Town.

They sacrificed their time, talent and treasure to ensure I managed to get educated at a top notch institution which was part of the moulding of the person I am today. God knew how everything would fit in together to set me on the path for fulfilling the purpose for which he placed me on earth. It is not everyone who gets such an opportunity and I am eternally grateful for the sacrifice which they did.


My big brother

In our family we are 2 guys with a 4 year gap between us. My brother is super intelligent, with the nature of work he does requiring him to be on top of his game with his maths and engineering acumen. Machines which he deals with are sensitive to things being accurate within millimetres. Failure to align things as they should has the potential to result in production hold-ups or worse still fatal injuries. Throughout his working life there have been times he has had to sacrifice being close to his family in order for him to ensure they are well off. 

It takes great fortitude to be able to do such and his hard work and sacrifice do not go unnoticed. Through observing him I have learnt that anything is possible if you put your mind to it and place your hands on the plough.


Other notable sacrifices

Along the way there are countless number of people who have been part of my life who have played a significant role in establishing a foundation and building me up into the man, husband, leader, teacher, coach who I am today. 

Pastor Tshalo heeded God’s call on his life to leave his motherland to come and establish a ministry in Cape Town which has provided a place of rest, restoration and release for many. For the past 9 years in which I have been part of Gospel Ramah Church I have found rest in the Lord, I have been restored to know the original intended design for my life and I am being released to fulfil this purpose. He is a role model, father figure and great leader whom many look up to.

Ps Mike Manyuni led us as we were part of the GRC youth and I managed to learn a lot from him directly and indirectly (through observation) of what it means to be someone who is practically sold out for God. Excelling in all domains of life spiritually, physically, relationally, emotionally and materially. Through his decision to choose to let himself be an open book, he has made us learn the importance of sacrificing for a cause.

Whinya esq. (the late) was a prolific literature and history guru. In high school this man fanned to flames my passion for the Arts through his ability to put things across in the most captivating and stimulating way possible. He taught me English language, English Literature, History and Sociology. He sacrificed his time to teach us Sociology (after hours) which was not part of the school curriculum- which I registered as an additional subject in my O-Level finals. It’s in these Sociology lessons that I learnt the concept of ‘delayed gratification’ which implores one to sacrifice in the short term in order to derive maximum benefit in the long term. It is a lesson which I have carried with me over these years.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mhai! (Mum)- Inspired by Tocky Vibes song

Reclaiming our nationhood: Unity, Freedom, Work

When you do not ask, the answer is already 'No'